Salzburg Airport W. A. Mozart (SZG)
History, Facts and Overview
Salzburg Airport dates back to early 1926, when Lufthansa airlines first flew to Munich and the airport was officially born. The next decade saw rapid expansion and a large increase in aircraft landings. In 1946, Salzburg Airport was used extensively by the US Army and ten years later, extension plans were put into action, eventually resulting in a longer runway, new control tower and a tenfold rise in passenger numbers.
In more recent years, 1984 saw the first charter flights operating at Salzburg Airport and considerable reinvestment to improve the facilities.
Passenger levels finally reached more than one million in 2000 and just one year later, Ryanair began flying between Salzburg Airport and London Gatwick Airport.
Facilities at Salzburg Airport have never been better and you can expect to find a selection of restaurants on the first floor, and also gourmet dining at the onsite Ikarus restaurant in Hangar-7. Shops are now open seven days a week and include a 'Travel Value and Duty Free' outlet, along with gift shops, newsagents and a jewellery store.